Thursday, September 27, 2012

Bun-less Burgers

So I pretty much have given up all grains so eating a hamburger is a different experience all together. I usually would go bun less out at restaurants and just have the patty on a bed of salad or wrapped in large lettuce leaves. The difference now is I did not want to miss out on the taste of the mayo, mustard and ketchup goodness that I would get from eating my burgers at home on a G-free bun. So I decided why not just make a dressing for my salad with those flavors.




Makes enough dressing for four dinner size salads:
two tsp of Dijon mustard
two tbsp of Mayo or Vegenaise
five basil leaves
1/2 cup of white balsamic vinegar
pinch of kosher salt
two good pinches of pepper(I use garlic pepper)
two good pinches of Creole seasoning
1/2 tbsp of EVOO
zest and juice of half of a lemon

Add all ingredients in a mini prep food processor or blender and mix until smooth.


















Go ahead and grill or cook your burgers. We got yum, yum burgers on special from Whole Foods. I usually stock up on their pre-made flavored burgers when they go on special and freeze them. They have all kinds usually some made with lamb, salmon, chicken and of course beef and bison. They mix in all kinds of different things like different cheeses and different spices into the patties.


I chopped up a beautiful Heirloom tomato and avocado to top off the burger. I am a huge Sour Kraut fan to and I will top mine with a couple of huge spoon fulls or chop up some of my Moms home made dill pickles. She made them spicy this year really great!
So I add the dressing to my greens, which is usually pea shoots and some kind of lettuce, toss and plate a generous helping to each plate. Then top with the burger and then the tomatoes and avocado. YUM!!!! I do not miss the bun at all.


No comments: