Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Yummy Vegan/Paleo and Gluten Free Chocolate and Fruit Cookie Balls

Update:
I recently up-dated this post to make it pretty much a grain free cookie. I did not bother to change the pictures yet, sorry:(

I hope everyone is having a nice Sukkot and having fun building their dwellings. I could not afford a Etrog set this year so I am using a lemon and a combo of rosemary branches, olive branches and some palm leaves to tie it all together. I think it will work out fine;)

So I had some left over chocolate chips mixed with sugar and cinnamon from making Babka last week. They kept starring at me every morning from the container I kept the mixture in on my counter, wanting to be put to use. So I am reviewing another cook book and I saw another cookie ball recipe. I have been seeing these quite a bit on the cookbook and blog scene, so I thought I will just make some cookie balls with the chocolate chip mixture. Now, during the week we do not have sweets unless it is a Holiday, but Ben was needing a a pick me up and I have been logging long hours at my computer as well doing research for a new project, so I figured we needed some cookie balls stat!

This makes 12 to 16 cookies more if you roll them into smaller balls.

Heat oven to 350 degrees

1/2 cup of chocolate chips
1/2 cup of raw honey
1 1/2 cup of ground almond meal (blanched almond flour works great to)
1/2 cup of coconut flour
2 tbsp of tapioca starch
1 tsp of zanthan gum
2 heaping tbsps of extra virgin coconut oil (warm it up a bit if it is solid)
1/4 cup of ground flax seed meal (or two organic eggs)
1/2 cup of water or almond milk
1/4 cup or dried fruit of choice
1/4 tsp of cinnamon
1/4 tsp of kosher salt
a dash of nutmeg
1/2 tsp of vanilla


1. combine the water and the flax seed meal in a small bowl and set aside(this will replace eggs and make everything stick together)
2. combine chocolate chips, almond flour, raw honey, tapioca starch, zanthan gum, EV coconut oil, dried fruit and, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and salt
3. add the flax water mixture at the last and mix in a stand mixer or use a hand mixer until a very solid dough forms.

4. grab a cookie sheet and line with parchment paper.
5. form dough into small balls using your hands and place in oven for 25 minutes
6. take out of oven and move to cooling rack for about 20 minutes and enjoy.

Ben taking a break with Cashmere waiting patiently for the cookie balls.
 


My two guys are so cute!



No comments: