Thursday, July 21, 2011

Homemade Granola


Ok I am getting ready to put out another Cookbook review and as usual I cook my way through the book as much as possible. So this is my own recipe, but one of the recipes I saw in the book inspired me to make my own granola. Plus, when I was at Wholefoods, with Ben, the other night I could not find a decent gluten free granola that was not full of sugar! So I read the backs of the non-gluten free high end granola brands to see what makes them so "high-end" and gathered what I needed to make my own concoction.

Set the oven at 375 degrees

What you need:
2 to 3 cups of rolled whole oats
1/4 of cup agave nectar
2 tbsp of grape seed oil
1/4 cup of raw pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup of sliced almonds or whatever you have around
1/4 cup of sun flower seeds
1/2 cup of dried cranberries/raisins/blueberries, cherries or what ever you have around
2 tsp of chai seeds
1/2 cup of goji berries chopped in a food processor or chop by with a chefs knife works to
1/4 cup chopped un-crystallized Candied Ginger
a few pinches of cinnamon
zest of half a organic orange
pinch of sea or kosher salt

Toss all together and grab a rimmed cookie sheet and line with parchment paper. Spread mixture out let it be clumpy and place in oven for 15 to 20 minutes depending if you use two of three cups of oats. Once it is done let sit on the counter and cool for about 20 to 30 minutes. Grab a airtight container and pick up the parchment, longest edges, paper by the slides and pour in to the container. Should last 2 to 3 weeks at room temperature.

This is great on yogurt, ice cream, on morning oat meal. Ben likes to top his Trader Joe Oats with it.  I will poured a small bowl and added some almond milk for a quick sweet afternoon snack. I like to make my morning shake and sprinkle granola on top and eat the shake with a spoon, yum!!!!

No comments: