Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Monkey Munch- Wheat Free


O MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This stuff just ROCKS!!!!!!
I saw this big bag of sugar dusted cereal stuff on Jon and Kate Plus 8. I looked at the TV and said out loud "what is that?" My Mother in true form said "that's Monkey Munch, Kate makes it all the time for the kids". So I walked down stairs and did a search for it and found a few recipes. All pretty much the same but of course my Mom requested a twist to it when I decided I would give it a try. So I cut the recipe in half and used Puffins Wheat Free cereal instead of chex mix. If you don't have a problem with wheat like I do I would use the Puffins cereal regardless because it has a lot of fiber and by using it makes the snack quite healthy. Chex cereal is just empty calories made with over processed rice flour.



What you will need:
One smallish Pyrex dish with cover
One large mixing bowl
spatula
wax paper
Air tight storage container
5 cups of Puffins cereal
3/4 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup of peanut butter + one tbsp or two depending on how Peanut butterier you want it to taste
1 tbsp of butter
1 cup of powdered sugar
1/2 cup of peanuts
splash of vanilla

Roll out about 2 1/2 feet of wax paper and lay on the counter. Measure out your cereal and put in large mixing bowl and put aside. Take your Pyrex dish and combine the Chocolate Chips, Peanut butter and butter. Place the dish in the microwave covered for 1 minute on high power. Take Pyrex out of microwave and stir together as mush as possible. Cover dish again and put back in microwave for about 30 more seconds. Take out Pyrex and stir until mixed and smooth. Add the splash of vanilla. This should just take a couple of good stirs and it is ready. Take your Pyrex dish and the spatula and pour the mixture of the bowl of cereal. Make sure to get every bit of the mixture. Then toss the cereal in the mixture until completely coated. Add your 1/2 cup of Peanuts and toss again. Take the 1 cup of powdered sugar and sprinkle over coated cereal in the bowl. Toss again until coated. Take the coated cereal and pour on the wax paper. Let sit out for about an hour or two and then pick up the wax paper and pour into the air tight container.



Everybody loves this stuff. My boyfriend went crazy over it. I think it would make a great after dinner desert for little kids because it is sweet, but has protein fiber and you made it so it has no crazy ingredients. It is a great pick me up snack at work. I have a huge sweet tooth so this is a great sweet treat without a lot of guilt and no wheat!!!!!!!!!
Enjoy,
Shara

1 comment:

The Wellman Family said...

Sounds great Shara. Can't wait til you make some for me ;)

Love ya, Faina